We asked some of the top Austin barbecue gurus for their top-secret best BBQ chicken recipes and this is what they had to say. Our sources are anonymous since they just don’t want people to know we twisted their arm. The bottom lines is – enjoy the recipes or check out our list of the best Austin BarBQ joints.
Best Barbecue Chicken Recipe?
This delectable barbecue chicken recipe makes it very difficult for you or your guests to stop at just one piece.
Barbecue Chicken Recipe Ingredients
- 4 chicken breast singles (no skin or bone, please)
- 4 cloves garlic, very finely chopped or even minced (depending on how energetic you’re feeling)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 heaped tablespoon thyme (fresh is best)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2+ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon red pepper/chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Barbecue Chicken Recipe Directions
- Put chicken breasts – one at a time – inside a plastic bag and secure the top.
Release some pent-up tension by beating those defenseless breasts until they’re a uniform thickness.
- Put chicken breasts into a flat-bottomed dish.
- Into a small bowl, combine the garlic, wine vinegar, thyme, mustard, honey, red pepper/chili flakes, sea salt & pepper.
- Mix well.
- A few drops at a time, add in the olive oil, stirring after each oil addition.
- Pour your delicious marinade over the chicken breasts, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 or 4 hours.
- Turn the chicken breasts over once or twice during the marinating and refrigeration process.
- Preheat barbecue/ grill.
- After the chicken breasts have marinated, remove them from the marinating dish, saving the delicious marinade.
- Reserve and put them on the barbecue/ grill.
- Put the marinade into a small saucepan and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and allow the marinade to simmer gently for 2 minutes.
- Spray barbecue/ grill with a little cooking spray.
- Put the chicken breasts on the barbecue/ grill and cover.
- Chicken should be allowed to cook for approximately 5 minutes on each side.
Use the marinade to baste the chicken breasts every couple of minutes during the cooking process.
- Serve while hot with a crisp salad or over steamed rice or mashed potato, using the remaining marinade as a sauce.
Another Barbecue Chicken Recipe
A barbecue recipe that takes a little bit more time, but will definitely be worth your while!
Barbecue Chicken Recipe Ingredients
- 2 large chickens (skin on), cleaned & cut into quarters
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup of vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons thyme (fresh is best)
- 2 teaspoons dried chili flakes/ crushed red pepper (adjust the amount to taste)
salt and black pepper, to taste
Barbecue Chicken Recipe Directions
- Brush the chicken pieces with vegetable oil.
- In a small bowl, combine the thyme, chili flakes/ crushed red pepper, salt & black pepper.
- Heat the barbecue/ grill.
- Over medium-high heat, put the chicken pieces – skin side down – on the grill.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, turning each piece over periodically.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Brush each piece of chicken with a generous amount of barbecue sauce.
- Cover grill and continue cooking for a further 10 minutes, remembering to continue basting and turning the chicken pieces periodically.
- When the chicken has cooked through, serve immediately.
- Lovely with baked potatoes and a crisp green salad!
Barbecue Chicken Peri Peri
Barbecue chicken peri-peri at its finest. Be sure to try this barbecue recipe.
Barbecue Chicken Peri-Peri Recipe Ingredients
This recipe is loved by everyone and the Peri-Peri flavor is used in restaurants all over the world. It’s easy to make, although you do need to purchase a few spices to be able to do it once you have them you can keep them in your cupboard until next time. We hope you have fun getting your hands messy making it and even messier when you eat it!
- 1kg (or approx 2 pounds) chicken breasts (skin & bone still intact)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup lime juice (fresh is best)
- 2+ ½ cups cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 jalapeno chili (fresh is best), de-seeded
- 1 medium red chili (fresh is best), de-seeded
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon Angostura bitters
Barbecue Chicken Peri-Peri Recipe Directions
- Using a mortar & pestle (or an electric grinder), make a paste out of the garlic, jalapeno & red chili.
- In the bottom of a shallow casserole/ baking dish, mix the lime juice with the Angostura bitters, hot pepper sauce, vinegar, and paprika.
- Mix the garlic & chili mixture into the lime juice mixture in the bottom of the casserole/ baking dish.
- Roll the chicken breasts in the casserole/ baking dish, ensuring each piece is well covered in the marinade.
- Cover with lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight, allowing the chicken breast pieces to marinate.
- Take the chicken out of the marinade and place on a medium-hot barbeque/ grill for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- During the cooking process, baste the chicken breasts every few minutes with the leftover marinade, and turn each piece of chicken frequently.
- Serve immediately while the chicken breasts are still piping hot.
- Traditionally, chicken peri-peri is served with chilled orange segments to suck on between mouthfuls to soothe and refresh, and with either steamed rice or couscous.
The ideal backyard party starts with a small careful planning and preparation. You would like your visitors to have a fab time and wish to come back for the subsequent one! If this is your first out of doors entertainment venture, there is plenty of sound advice on planning the ideal backyard barbecue online, including everything you ever needed to know about barbecue griddles, barbecuing accessories, backyard fire pits, out of doors kitchens, building your own, great barbecue recipes and entertaining menus; virtually anything and everything that you need to host the best barbecues. Take it slow and plan well, because incompetent planning will be the passing of the party! So where do you start, you ask?
Create a list of the guests you want to invite and put together a flavorsome menu with selections, which will appeal to everybody. The next thing is to select a theme for your backyard barbecue and select decorations and party invites. Do your shopping well beforehand and confirm your griddle is good to go with masses of propane or charcoal. You do not need to be sending somebody to the store in the middle of the revelry! Do your shopping the day before the party and get everything you’ll need for the party. You might also want to get an additional cooler or 2 to keep drinks prepared and available for your visitors. When you get home with your groceries, place your selected slices of beef, trimmed of fat into resealable plastic bags and cover with marinade, then place bags in the fridge and continue to turn every couple of hours.
You are just about there! On the day of the barbecue, you will want to call your visitors to approve the time and the directions to your house. Decorate the terrace area and set up volleyball or badminton net, chairs, tables, coolers, and a receptacle for trash. Tiny mosquito lamps or citronella candles near seating areas and tiki torches across the yard will keep the insects away and out of your guests’ food. To keep you from running back and forth to the kitchen while dinner is burning on the griddle, prepare cooking ingredients in convenient storage boxes, and set them close to the griddle when you start cooking. Try and keep everybody engaged and having an excellent time, and by all possible means let them help if they would like! Now sit back and enjoy your backyard barbecue and everybody who has come to share it with you!