Texas Style Oven Baked Beef Brisket Recipe
Because smoking a brisket involves a long, slow, cooking process brisket is also usually relegated to a lazy weekend when little else will be on the agenda.
This authentically seasoned, wildly flavorful oven-baked beef brisket recipe makes this Texan treat available to anyone, anywhere, any day – even apartment dwelling city-folks. It doesn’t even require time to marinate.
Selecting a Beef Brisket
While the typical southern grill master will look for a large, heavy, untrimmed beef brisket, it is more practical in this recipe to look for a three to five-pound beef brisket that has been moderately trimmed of excess fat.
A beef brisket that is too large or fatty will present problems in the oven; the least of which is its ability to fit in a roasting pan.
Note: Be sure the brisket you select is fresh. A corned-beef brisket will not yield good results.
Oven-Baked Brisket in 3 Easy Steps
- Peel and slice 1 whole onion.
- Make the dry rub and the sauce.
- Apply the seasonings to the brisket and bake.
Dry Rub Recipe for Barbequed Smoked Brisket
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons coarse black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a small bowl combine all dry rub ingredients.
- Stir well to combine and set aside.
Sauce Recipe for Oven Smoked Beef Brisket
- 4 tablespoons strongly brewed black coffee
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons of liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon A-1 Steak Sauce
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a pint or quart-sized jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Cap the jar and give it a few vigorous shakes; set aside.
Oven-Baked Beef Brisket Recipe
- Pre-heat oven to 250°F.
- Place the sliced onion in the bottom of a roaster pan large enough to accommodate the brisket.
- Arrange the onions so that they are mostly in the center of the pan; so that the brisket will rest on them as it bakes.
- With the dry rub, liberally season the brisket by rubbing the seasoning on every surface of the meat. Sometimes briskets have splits and folds. Make sure that every surface is well seasoned. It is expected that the entire dry rub recipe will be used on a four-pound brisket.
- Place the seasoned brisket on the bed of sliced onions, fat side up.
- Pour the entire smoking sauce recipe over and around the brisket.
- Tightly seal the roasting pan with a sheet of aluminum foil or a snug-fitting lid.
- Place in the center of the preheated oven and bake for 4½ hours.
- Remove from oven and allow brisket to rest for 20 to 30 minutes before slicing to enjoy.
Brisket is best when thinly sliced against the grain. It is delicious served with traditional barbeque fares such as potato salad, baked beans, and corn-on-the-cob.
If you are in the mood for something lighter, though, try it with a side of mustard greens, garlic bread, and a refreshing Waldorf Salad.